Thursday, September 3, 2009

Embracing Community

"And let us not neglect our meeting together, as some people do, but encourage one another, especially now that the day of his return is drawing near." -Hebrews 10:25

Coming from a home where I'm surrounded by my strong Christian friends and family, and entering an unknown environment, seemingly void of Christian community is a terrible way to start college. My first week I was alone in an apartment, away from my comfort zone and the familiarity of home and all that goes along with it. I wasn't completely alone, I had friends up here from high school, but none that I knew well or were Christians that would support me. Although, it was only a week, felt extremely alone.

The past two weeks I've gotten involved with both Campus Crusade and Intervarsity. It's amazing how encouraging it is to be in fellowship with Christians after spent some time out of that environment. I'm in a small group with both organizations and am participating in intramurals for Crusade. I'm really excited about what God has in store for both of these organizations in my life and in others.

More importantly, is what God taught me yesterday. Sometimes, I hate being taught things, and lately has been proof of that. I wasn't listening to God. I wanted to be surrounded by people who would befriend me. I didn't want to be lonely or feel like an outcast. I really struggle with that. I'm used to having friends around me to keep me busy and to talk to and be social with, but I haven't really had the luxury of that here. I came home yesterday and God just broke me down.

"Why, Kelsey, have you been trying so hard to fill yourself with the things of this world and the people here? You want to be accepted and loved by those around you, but can't you see that I love you and I'm here for you all the time? Stop trying to fill yourself with friendships that will only distract you from me. I'll provide for you, when the time comes. Focus on me. Take a rest from your social life. Spend that time with me."

So I spent sometime in God's word yesterday, just reading and praying. It was awesome. God is awesome. So a large part of today, I've spent doing the same thing. I was reading in Psalms today and God showed me this verse (107:9) that really challenged me today:

"For he satisfies the longing soul, and the hungry soul he fills with good things."

It's not like now I'm going to become an anti-social college kid, but God's challenging me to not rely on friends to fill my void, but turn to Him instead. :) So that's just what I'm planning on doing.



2 comments:

  1. Wow! God is so good! God is growing you in ways that could never be imagined before you stepped out in faith that He was leading you on the path you are on.I am amazed, once again, at the strength of your personal relationship with Him. I pray that it will always be so! love you,Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kelsey!
    You have no idea how inspiring what you wrote was! I have been struggling with basically the same things and what you said really made me think about things! My favorite part was what you quoted God saying to you! keep the blogs coming cause they are amazing to read!
    ~Kelly~

    ReplyDelete